Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On painting

Learning to paint outside the lines.

Ezra is teaching me the best lessons. His arm and paintbrush have no regards for artificial lines. He paints all over the page; wherever his paintbrush lands, he's happy with the results. He also likes to mix the paints together with no concern for keeping the colors separate. As I painted with him on Sunday, I had to restrain myself from telling him to stop mixing the colors together. I told myself let him decide what he wants to do with his paint. I watched him just enjoy having the brush in his hand and making strokes anywhere on the page.

Ezra is also very philosophical with his play-doh. He smooshes the play-doh together to create his own colors. My natural inclination is to keep the colors separate so they can maintain their color integrity. Ezra's natural inclination is to follow his instincts and put colors together without caring about color integrity. He enjoys the feel of the play-doh in his still dimply little hands and if he needs to smoosh the blue and yellow together to make a sandwich, he isn't going to over-think it, or think about it all. He is simply going to act in order to create what he wants to see.

I sit and learn from my 3 year old.

If I watch him daily and carefully enough, I will know how to direct his creative energies as he gets older. If I'm cognizant of what he tells me, I will be able to tell him to "listen to your heart, you already have the answer and purposefully act in order to create what you want to see."

If I'm smart enough, I will apply his 3 year old sagacity to my 34 year old life.

No comments:

Post a Comment