Wednesday, July 21, 2010

On needing people

I don't think we're meant to be independent. I think that people are meant to share joys and difficulties with regularity, not just in trying times. I honestly believe we need people in our lives in order to help us live.

I'm an extreme introvert; being social doesn't come natural for me. Asking for help is hard for me. It's easier for me to try something on my own or even bemoan what I lack. Recognizing that I need help and that people actually want to/need to help is one of the biggest lessons I'm learning at this moment in my life. Sometimes I don't even realize I need an outstretched hand or shoulder to lean on. The leaning, the touching, the talking, the sharing, the confirmation of one's feelings, are essential to successful living in general, but even to just making it through another moment, another day.

People help wipe tears and make you just a little lighter, a little more connected to the world, to yourself, to the land of the living.

2 comments: