Friday, April 24, 2009

On friendships

I love Fantasia's "Truth is: I ran into an old friend yesterday..familiar face from a chapter in my past." I think the song can apply to friendships, not just romantic relationships. I saw two friends this week that I hadn't seen in over 5 years. Their familiar faces are from a chapter in my past: college. But the familiarity, the easy conversation and the comfort level were so unparalleled. The time with them, not over coffee, but jambalaya and fish, fed my spirit.
Some chapters should be closed as we move forward. However, others need to always have an open door. I'm convinced that some connections to the past are always important to staying grounded and moving forward. I felt lifted and comfortable; it was home. They say you can never go home, but just experiencing it for a short time is crucial. Sometimes,those small moments, memories can make such a difference, carrying one backward and forward at the same time. Remembering a time, holding people close--remembering the importance of connections, friendships, old chapters.
The visit reminded me friendships come in all different flavors and it is so important to nurture them, for the sake of the friendship, for one's own spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Just reading this post is making me want to listen to my Fantasia CD! It is true that this song can apply to friendships. Just as the saying, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. This saying and many others only apply when people leave an impression on your heart that can't be forgotten. You become more than friends, it's family. You never forget these people, and probably never will. We definitely have to do it again. Next time you pick the menu!

    ReplyDelete